Monday, August 4, 2014

First post back

So this is my first post since getting back on the trail.  I've been back on the trail for 9 days now, so you know this will be a long one.  I'll keep it as short as possible though.

I got to Waynesboro, VA on Saturday night late.  I wanted to stay at the brand new long distance hiker pavilion in town.  Unfortunately I was looking at an old map that had the tenting area for hikers located right behind the YMCA, which now is a concrete parking lot, not the best place to set up a tent.  I ended up sleeping next door at the library under an overhang until about 3:30am when it started to rain.  I packed up and sat in an alcove while I waited for the rain to stop.  During that time I was able to find a current map and I located the pavilion.  It was a nice place with a solar charging station and plenty of places to tent or hammock over night. There were two hikers there, but I never met them because I was ready to go at 7am and they hadn't moved from their tents.  Since I got in so late and it was still too early, I didn't call any of the possible trail angels for a ride and walked the 4 miles to the trail.  I then hiked a nice 20 mile day into the Shenandoah National Park.

The Shenandoahs are the reason why I went back and hiked from Waynesboro instead of getting on the trail at Harper's Ferry where JD and I got off.  I am glad I did that.  The woods were beautiful in the Shenandoahs and the overlooks along skyline drive were breathtaking.  I took plenty of pictures!  I even saw a few bears!  The first bear I saw made some noise to the left of the trail.  I stopped and looked for what was making the noise, but didn't see anything.  Then all the sudden a bear goes sliding down a tree like a fireman on a pole.  Literally just slide down the tree with no stops.  He got to the ground and took off running away.  I also saw a mama bear and a cub cross the trail.  It was the cutest thing ever to see the little cub only about 10 inches tall when on its hand and feet go running. 

So hiking was going well the first day.  The second day my knee started acting up a little bit.  I took some "Vitamin I" (Ibuprofen) and was fine.  After a day or two though I knew I needed to get into town.  The brace I had wasn't sufficient enough for what I needed and my knee was killing me.  I was hoping to resupply in Front Royal, VA, but ended up getting off the trail 50 miles earlier in Luray, VA.  There I was able to get a brace from Walmart and stay the night with Sparkle Pony taking a chance to recover from the pain in my knee.  Sparkle Pony and I went around town and did the normal resupply and eat.  We found a nice little diner/bar, the only one in town and had some food and drinks.  We started walking back to the hotel and made a pit stop at the 7-11 that was on the way.  When we left the 7-11 Sparkle Pony asked a girl if she could give us a ride the rest of the way to our hotel.  She told him sure, we hopped in and got back to the hotel.  When we got back to our hotel room, I realized my phone had fallen out of my pocket in her car.  Sparkle Pony didn't have a phone and the room phone wouldn't dial long distance, so I couldn't call my phone.  I stayed in town another day trying to track down my phone but to no avail.  I am now phoneless and 3 days behind schedule.

The next few days I was able to keep a normal pace.  My right knee feels better, but isn't 100% yet.  Unfortunately my left shin is swollen.  I didn't realize it until yesterday, but it had been hurting because I was favoring my right leg because of the knee pain and I didn't realize that there was actual swelling.  I took an easier day than I planned because of the swelling and stayed at a really cool little campsite that was just off the trail near a spring.  I'd have taken a picture to share but the whole no phone thing kinda kills that.

Today I hiked another short day, about 18 miles into a hostel at Bear's Den Gap.  This is just past the middle of a section known at "The Roller Coaster" because there are 10 ups and downs in a span of 13.5 miles.  There are very few good views in this area.  I am icing my shin and eating a nice dinner while I sleep in a comfortable bed.  I hope this will help to get back on track!

Tomorrow I plan to hike just before Harper's Ferry.  It's another short hike (like 17 miles) so I hope that will help me to recover as well.

Look for more updates in the weeks to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment