So the first question people ask me is why do you want to do something like this? It's not a judgmental question, but one more of curiosity and excitement. Instead of answering the same question for everyone, I figured I'd take a short cut and post to my blog.
I first decided that I wanted to hike the entire trail about 6 years ago. I first hiked the trail with my friend Ryan when I graduated college. I loved the physical and mental challenge of hiking. I also loved the scenery and people along the way. I fell in love with the trail then. I spent only a week on the trail and traveled about 120 miles, and at that point I knew I wanted to hike the entire thing. Ryan and I discussed the possibility of hiking the trail after he graduated. I even discussed with my manager at work the possibility of taking a Leave of Absence in order to do this. Unfortunately, Ryan took an extra semester to graduate and the idea of the trip went away as it is extremely difficult to hike the entire trail in a single summer. Additionally, it was never a good time to get away from work, family, friends or responsibilities.
The desire to hike the trail remained, but the idea of doing it was subdued. I still went for weekend trips during the next few summers with various friends, and each time the desire was reignited, but the execution was always an intangible or indeterminate goal, much like when you run into that old friend from high school and you both say, "we should get coffee sometime and catch up!" but nothing ever materializes.
I finally decided to go for it in June 2013. I went mountain biking with my friend Daniel and his brother in Virginia. We ended up biking the Virginia Creeper Trail which intersects the Appalachian Trail at various points. I left the trail riding back with Daniel to SC and told him about how I always do something like mountain biking and am reminded about my desire to hike the Trail. He asked me, "Why don't you just do it?!" At least 100 excuses went through my head. They were good excuses too, but they were all excuses. When I really thought about it, there was nothing that was preventing me from going other than me.
Next came the how.
While hiking on the trail the first time I met a former thru hiker who was a fellow engineer. I asked her, how she was able to hike the trail with a full time "professional" job. She explained that she went up to her boss with 2 letters, on for an LOA and one for her resignation. I made the decision that I was going to do the same thing by asking for an LOA from my company this summer. I also made the decision that if that LOA was denied, that wouldn't stop me from going...I was prepared to leave much like her. Unfortunately, the LOA was denied and I submitted my letter of resignation.
I have been planning my trip since January. The more I plan, the more I feel confident that this is where I am being called to be. I don't know what I'm doing after the trail, but I trust that God has a plan. I look forward to figuring out that plan while on the trail or even afterwards!
At this time I start my hike on May 1!!! I can't wait for it! Stay tuned for more updates!
Craig
I first decided that I wanted to hike the entire trail about 6 years ago. I first hiked the trail with my friend Ryan when I graduated college. I loved the physical and mental challenge of hiking. I also loved the scenery and people along the way. I fell in love with the trail then. I spent only a week on the trail and traveled about 120 miles, and at that point I knew I wanted to hike the entire thing. Ryan and I discussed the possibility of hiking the trail after he graduated. I even discussed with my manager at work the possibility of taking a Leave of Absence in order to do this. Unfortunately, Ryan took an extra semester to graduate and the idea of the trip went away as it is extremely difficult to hike the entire trail in a single summer. Additionally, it was never a good time to get away from work, family, friends or responsibilities.
The desire to hike the trail remained, but the idea of doing it was subdued. I still went for weekend trips during the next few summers with various friends, and each time the desire was reignited, but the execution was always an intangible or indeterminate goal, much like when you run into that old friend from high school and you both say, "we should get coffee sometime and catch up!" but nothing ever materializes.
I finally decided to go for it in June 2013. I went mountain biking with my friend Daniel and his brother in Virginia. We ended up biking the Virginia Creeper Trail which intersects the Appalachian Trail at various points. I left the trail riding back with Daniel to SC and told him about how I always do something like mountain biking and am reminded about my desire to hike the Trail. He asked me, "Why don't you just do it?!" At least 100 excuses went through my head. They were good excuses too, but they were all excuses. When I really thought about it, there was nothing that was preventing me from going other than me.
Next came the how.
While hiking on the trail the first time I met a former thru hiker who was a fellow engineer. I asked her, how she was able to hike the trail with a full time "professional" job. She explained that she went up to her boss with 2 letters, on for an LOA and one for her resignation. I made the decision that I was going to do the same thing by asking for an LOA from my company this summer. I also made the decision that if that LOA was denied, that wouldn't stop me from going...I was prepared to leave much like her. Unfortunately, the LOA was denied and I submitted my letter of resignation.
I have been planning my trip since January. The more I plan, the more I feel confident that this is where I am being called to be. I don't know what I'm doing after the trail, but I trust that God has a plan. I look forward to figuring out that plan while on the trail or even afterwards!
At this time I start my hike on May 1!!! I can't wait for it! Stay tuned for more updates!
Craig
No comments:
Post a Comment