Friday, May 23, 2014

Quick update

So it's been a few days since an update as occurred, but this one will be short.  Not too much to say in regards to trail activities.

I left Hot Springs on Friday after a delicious breakfast as the local diner.  JD, Mike and I all hiked a short 11 miles to the closest shelter north of Hot Springs.  We were fortunate to get in around mid afternoon.  The shelter was an older design and fit only 5 people.  Most shelters you can squeeze a few extra people in, this one was so old that there were holes in the flooring and could only fit exactly 5.  Since we caught the bubble entering Hot Springs there were many people forced to tent that night.

The next day we picked up the pace again and put in 20 miles.  The plan moving forward is to hit a minimum of 20 mile days as anything less at this point seems to short. Nothing major to report on this day, it was a pretty bland day.

 Sunday and Monday is when things took an interesting turn on my trip.  Sunday started out pretty cold.  JD, Mike and I all planned to hike a 20 mile day which would put us about 16 miles from Erwin, TN, our next resupply point.  The planned day started with a strenuous uphill climb followed by about 3 short peaks that needed.   Mid way through the hike, as I crossed under I-26 I was blessed to see more trail magic!  A group of Geocachers set up a table with burritos, hard boiled eggs, cokes, beers, and many other delicious items.  Mike was unfortunately too fast in the morning and missed the magic.  JD was right behind me and was able to enjoy some of the amazing food that the people brought.  We both sat, ate and chat with the group for about an hour then took off to our destination.  Unfortunately after such an amazing meal, JD was able to convince me to continue hiking past our planned stop.  We ended up hiking a 25 mile day and camping about 11 miles from Erwin, TN.  Oh yeah and there was the snake (pictured below).

Sunday evening I texted my mother to let her know where I was going to stay for the night.  After I texted her, my phone started blowing up with text messages, a voice mail and emails for a job opportunity that I applied for while in the NOC (yes, I skipped telling you all that part).

Since the plan was to be in town on Monday, I didn't have to change any plans.  Since JD is from Sweden he wanted to be in town early anyway so that he could Skype with his parents.  We got up at 6am, packed, ate and hiked a quick 11 miles into town by around 10:30am.  I returned the phone call for the position.  They wanted me to interview on Thursday this week.  Since this blog is focused on the trail, I'll make this part quick.  My brother Chad picked me up from the trail on Tuesday.  We drove to MS and I cleaned up, shaved, and stayed the night at my parents.  Wednesday I flew out of Memphis to the interview location.  Thursday I interviewed.  Today I met with a rental consultant to tour the area.  Tomorrow I fly back to Memphis.  Sunday I prepare my stuff.  Monday I'm heading back out to the trail.

It'll be another month before they plan to fill the position I applied for, so I won't know anything until later, that's why I'm not mentioning location or company.  I'm debating on going back to Erwin and starting where I left off or going up to Damascus, VA where the group I've been hiking with should be.  If I don't get the job and am able to finish the trail, I will go back and finish the section that I've skipped.  I think the decision I make will be a game day one made on Monday as I get back on the trail.

Enjoy the pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment