Thursday, May 29, 2014

Update from Atkins, VA

Just a quick update for those following me on the trail. I got back on the trail at Damascus, VA and met up with JD. I skipped the part from Erwin, TN to here. I'll plan to do that some other time.

My wonderful mother hiked the trail with me for about half a mile and then dropped me off at about 3:30pm to continue on another 15.5 miles to the shelter where JD was staying. I got in about 9 after dark. There was just enough light that I didn't need to put on my head lamp which was nice.

The next day was dark and dreary. The sun didn't come out till late in the day. To top it off we hiked over one of the best views in VA and we couldn't see a thing! On the mountains we were hiking through clouds which always slows things down, so it was a slow 23 miles.

Yesterday we hiked a solid 25 miles in 10 hours, which included stopping for lunch and other breaks during the day. Not much to photograph that day but we did go by lots of cows, wild ponies and steer. We were able to finish the day at the Mount Rogers visitor center where we ordered pasta from Pizza Hut!

Today we are midway through our hike and it's not even 11. We are currently stopped in Atkins, VA enjoying 2 two litter bottles of mountain dew and ice cream.

Enjoy the pictures!  (Chalkboard of an older school closed down in I believe the late 1800s try to find JD & Manalive on there, JD in front of the school,  lunch in Atkins)

No comments:

Post a Comment